It turns out that people do not really know what the ”cloud” is actually. Many people perceive it as a service available via the web, most often through a web browser. The truth is that the cloud is something more. What role does it play in business?
From the article you will learn:
- what cloud computing is;
- what role it plays for today's world;
- how a cloud computing works in small and large projects;
- Big Data in every kind of activity;
- what benefits it brings.
Is the cloud really so important for the business?
Cloud computing is mainly a set of logically connected computers forming the so-called farm. Servers with which the cloud service is performed allow to store on them a lot of data (personal, non-personal, know-how, patents, documentation, images, files, customer or partner information, sensitive or confidential data, etc.) from individual users, organizations or companies. For us as users, this ”accessibility” means that we always have important information or files for us (if we are connected to the Internet) and we are able to add more from anywhere, at any time. Information in cloud solutions can be quickly shared, and also be edited by our friends, employers or project team members. We see introduced or suggested changes in real time, and the whole operation runs very smoothly.
A cloud for small and great purposes
The above-mentioned cloud activities are among the most common when it comes to cloud application. However, there are activities that can affect the appearance of the business (and maybe even the whole world!). Cloud computing solutions can be used for very complex operations.With their help, you can carry out very advanced calculations related to the determination of the trajectory of the rocket flight on Pluto, or solve the connections in the genetic crossword of ancient species. Ordering such work to one computer (even the best one) would take hundreds or even thousands of years. In addition, the purchase of the best computers would be very expensive. Therefore, instead of waiting for years to perform the planned calculation and invest huge amounts of money in the purchase of the necessary infrastructure, you can lease the so-called computing power, e.g. 1000 computers from cloud service providers. Computers are able to divide calculations among themselves, and then use the partial results and aggregate them and provide a comprehensive solution/response.
The use of cloud solutions is associated with the emergence of numerous questions about the level of their safety. People are concerned that shared data may be leaked, stolen or violated by unauthorized persons. Due to the existence of increasingly stringent regulations regarding to cybersecurity and data protection (e.g. General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR), organizations create strategies and undertake activities that minimize the risk of emergencies, especially where there is a use of cloud in business. Services such as DropBox, Gdrive, Gphotos or iCloud, in order to avoid high fines and loss of reputation or trust, put a lot of effort into ensuring a high level of security of cloud services. In addition, they do not allow data loss by multiplying them on servers. So if for any reason, one of the servers is destroyed, resources will still be available to their owner. In addition, depending on the user's location and server load, user can write or read data from servers located closest to his location and being the least loaded. By doing so, cloud solution providers for business affect the comfort of their clients, sustaining their interest.
What benefits does the cloud give?
The most common benefits under cloud software include:
- almost instant access to the data (documents, files, graphics, information). Availability at any place and time when there is a connection to the Internet and an electronic device,
- physical data security. Cloud service providers have the responsibility to check the security of servers, so they attach great importance to the protection of entrusted data,
- easy and fast sharing of files between, for example, individual users, members of the project team, employees or entire organizations,
- reducing costs for electricity. Organizations that have opted for cloud services and have decided to store information on external servers, limit the work of electronic devices,
- the ability to store data on both external suppliers' servers as well as on internal servers belonging to the organization. Thanks to this, the risk of a lack of control over the transmitted data is reduced,
- disk in the cloud (its appearance, capacity, functionality) can be closely related to the architecture of the organization system. It is very important for the organization that the disk is adapted to needs or requirements,
- the ability to backup information during server failure or data breach. Thanks to this, you can be sure that in the situation of a crisis, the operation of the organization will not be paralyzed.
The cloud computing tools available as part of the technology cloud computing tools (with current information processing) are one of the most important solutions of the first decades of the 21st century. It is worth considering their implementation into the business and taking advantage of the latent potential.