From the article you will learn:
- what is the use of BIM technology,
- how BIM technology affects the investment process,
- how a cloud computing works in small and large projects,
- what is the ”openness” of BIM technology,
- what benefits BIM brings.
BIM as an innovation in design
The mysterious abbreviation BIM is more and more often appears in business conversations. After developing the shortcut, we get Building Information Modeling. BIM technology is mainly used in the AEC (Architecture Engineering Construction) industry. It is in this area that innovation is required, which will accelerate and co-ordinate the process under the planned investment. There is a belief that the technology is a real trend in the construction and design industry, whose representatives can create the entire investment in the digital world and carry it through all stages - from the concept to the actual use of the object.
Investment process and 3D BIM objects
As part of the use of BIM technology, it involves the creation of digital 3D models of real objects that can be used in the design process. Each of the models is a digital prototype of the physical element of the building, e.g. window, wall, stairs, glass, doors. In addition, the models have real parameters preserved, which allows for a thorough analysis and drawing the necessary conclusions for members of the investment process, e.g. designers, investors, contractors. So thanks to the existence of virtual 3D models, the designer can better understand the planned project and refine projects; the investor and the contractor can control the work progress, schedules and financial outlays as part of the construction or forecast the future administrative costs of maintaining the building (costs associated with its ”life cycle”, e.g. when, what and how should be serviced).
BIM software allows the editing of created models and the adding specific changes. The designer does not have to worry about manually correcting the models, because any modifications in their appearance (and therefore projections) occur automatically. In addition, all changes are visible in real time, and access to them is available to any authorized person associated with the investment. The possibility of flexible adding of changes to BIM tools creates the chances for carrying out many simulations and selecting the virtual version of the element that is the most advantageous and optimal for the project. By making modifications in the models, and therefore in the whole project, it is possible to automatically locate any inconsistencies/inconsistencies. Due to the elimination of factors and the regulation of technical aspects that may have a negative impact on the process of investment implementation, the risk of incurring additional time and financial expenses is limited. All project documentation or quantitative reports are always created based on the current appearance of the BIM models used, including their parameters, product information. It reduces errors and the risk of inconsistency already in the initial phase of the project. Correctly carried out project documentation and consistent information about the building being constructed in BIM technology are the basis.
BIM as an open technology
The BIM technology in the AEC environment is perceived as very open, because its understanding is possible to achieve by any person, regardless of the area of specialization or role in the investment process. All thanks to programs/reports that provide effective support for team members and accelerate understanding of the initiative and ”equalizing opportunities”. BIM tools allows you to develop tender offers and to verify the legitimacy or feasibility of the implementation of a given project. Therefore, it not only facilitates the design process, and then implementation and maintenance of investments, but above all, it can be the basis for obtaining attractive contracts (even those fancy or experimental). BIM software allows you to highlight the strengths/weaknesses of the project and opportunities/investment risks; estimation of time and financial costs; exercising control over the implementation process, ensuring the safety of building data and equal involvement of each person included in the undertaking.
What are the benefits of BIM technology?
The following BIM benefits appear when the software based on it is implemented and used:
- the ability to analyze and simulate costs, materials, time. The technology enables numerous modifications in 3D models, thus selecting the best ones. After selection, you can easily create cost estimates and a schedule for completing tasks under the investment,
- reduced error and investment risk. Thanks to the multilevel analysis, taking into account the elements used and their interaction with each other, the risk of delays or inconsistencies is reduced. This allows to save time and resources,
- monitoring the work progress. Each participant of the investment process has access to the created schedules and the ability to react quickly,
- 3D models as a source of information about the object. The 3D model included in the project, including full product information, allows you to visualize and understand the idea of the project; the space in which it is to appear; interoperability of various systems and all devices in the created investment. In addition, the presence of BIM models of specific elements in the offer of manufacturers increases the chances of their use in the project by the designer,
- the possibility of implementing innovative projects thanks to BIM tools. Thanks to the possibility of project estimation in terms of elements used, time, costs or interaction with space, you can undertake to implement innovative facilities.
BIM technology is used on a large scale throughout the world and recommended by EU directives. Undoubtedly, it is the future of the construction industry, so more and more countries are making every effort to make it their standard. This is possible through legal regulation of its application and complex implementation strategies.